Post new topic   Reply to topic    Learn it Live it Love it Forum Index -> Raiding
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Reviel

re: Tanking icc etc

Just looking for some general info on how to improve my tanking, threat gen etc...

Ive spent hours researching, reading EJ's etc and i believe the best info i find is from other players.

Atm im using a general 96969 tanking rotation which seems the standard way to go for the highest threat generating tank rotation for pallies..

I guess what im really interested in is possible what addons etc i could use to improve my tanking more so. Ive read up the fights despite knowing them from a healers perspective.

Atm when tanking im running with
Healbot (kinda my raid frame but i do pug as heals)
Omen because sometimes the dps arent too bright =O
Tauntmaster as well is probably my main tanking addon other then say DBM

it gives you a frame that you can mouse over and click.. i.e. Left click: First taunt Right click: Second taunt

But i find it generally isnt always accurate...

so if anyone has any suggestions or advice at all it'd be more then welcome..

cheers,
Rev
Keeni
GM
Forum Lurker

Never really tanked as a pally my self so cant put much input there. Have you read the threat put up about addons. I have listed a lot of good addons in there. I find tidy plates: threat plates really good for making sure you have threat on a lot of mobs at once. I used to hate name plates till using this addon.

When you say your using the 969696 rotation what do you mean by that?

Reviel

i did try plates for a bit but i think i was having bad lag or something and found it made me chug a bit.

But as far as the 96969 rotation goes

A paladin has 5-6 abilities used in the rotation for tanking.

several of these abilities are a 6 second cooldown and several are 9sec cds.
or there abouts.

*quote from Elitest Jerks*

"Because most of the abilities used in tanking are instant-cast spells that have cooldowns and trigger the global cooldown, it's natural to set up a rotation that allows you to maximize your activity in a stretch of time and lets you stay active without waiting on cooldowns to finish. By far the most common rotation is to interweave 6-second cooldowns and 9-second cooldowns; this rotation is variously known as 6/9, 696969, or other combinations of those two digits.

The 6-second cooldowns are Shield of Righteousness and Hammer of the Righteous. Since the global cooldown is just a little less than 1.5 seconds, we can say that these spells have a cooldown 4 GCDs long. So if we lay out the rotation in GCDs, with one slot for each GCD, we can rotate these two spells like this:

(ShR) ____ (HotR) ____ (ShR) ____ (HotR) ____ (ShR) ____ (HotR) ____ ...

The 9-second cooldown abilities are Holy Shield, Consecration, and Judgement. Holy Shield and Consecration actually have 8-second cooldowns, but Holy Shield lasts 10 seconds so it's fine to let it spend a second off cooldown each cycle. Judgements have a 10-second cooldown by default, so one point in the Improved Judgements talent is needed to bring the cooldown down th 9 second. A 9 second cooldown is six GCDs, so we can thread these three spells into the rotation above like this:

(ShR) HS (HotR) Cons (ShR) Judge (HotR) HS (ShR) Cons (HotR) Judge ..."
Posts from:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Learn it Live it Love it Forum Index -> Raiding All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: